How to use this site
FedBOP.com is a private, not-for-profit organization that provides services to current and former federal inmates (and their families). We are not affiliated with the federal government or Bureau of Prisons. This site is under development, but we still provide the following options:
1) You can conduct a search for any current/former federal inmate and obtain all relevant information from their profile page.
2) You can GPS locate any inmate by clicking the "locate" button on their profile. Once you open up the map screen, you can also click the "directions" button or "view larger map" button (upper left corner) to get directions to their location. Contact the prison to confirm their location and visiting regulations before attempting to visit any inmate. You must also be approved by BOP before you can visit any inmate.
3) Click the "contact" button on an inmate’s profile page and we will send your message to the inmate via postal mail (provided it does not contain any illegal content). If the inmate is registered with us for email communications, we will also immediately send them an email informing them of your name and contact information so they can add you to their BOP account directly. We cannot forward them the actual contents of your message via email because all messages from non-BOP approved persons must go through postal mail (until the BOP approves your email). If an inmate does not know that you are trying to reach them, then they can't add your contact information to their BOP account so it can be approved, and so our service will expedite the process by transmitting your contact information to the inmate via email (if they are registered with us) so they can immediately get it approved.
4) We will be providing a free, personalized email address to every person ever imprisoned in the federal system. The email address will be your government-assigned BOP number (no dashes) @fedbop.com. For example, if your BOP# is 99999-053, then your email would be firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not incarcerated and would like to claim your email, you will need to provide us proof of your identity. Any current inmate can claim their email address directly through the BOP inmate email system (known as Corrlinks
) by adding their fedbop.com email address to their account (as your identity is auto-verified by the BOP).
5) We will maintain a profile page for every person ever imprisoned in the federal system. We are currently in the process of collecting pictures that correspond to inmate profiles. If you are imprisoned and have registered your fedbop.com email address with our site, or if you are free and have verified your identity with us, you can add, change or remove your picture from our site at any time by contacting us directly. We accept any photo for your profile picture as long as it does not contain any nudity or other offensive content.
6) We will provide some limited ability for inmates to manage their profile page on our system. BOP regulations generally do not permit inmates to operate their own webpages, but what we can do is at least allow an inmate to publish status updates to their profile page if there are any emergency situations that they wish to inform the public. For example, if a prison is put on lockdown or an inmate is being transferred from facility to facility, they will have limited ability to notify all family/friends (or even the public) of such occurrences. In any situation where they are able to at least send a quick email to us (if they are released from their cell for a moment), we can post any such status update directly to their profile page at fedbop.com so that if an inmate is rendered incommunicado, the public can be informed of any emergency situation that may be causing it.
7) We will also provide inmates the ability to post requests for legal assistance directly to their fedbop profile page. This will allow inmates to be paired up with competent paralegals, investigators and attorneys to help them navigate the legal issues which have caused them to become imprisoned.
8) Other functionality will be added as the site continues to be developed. All information provided is for use at your own risk. We strive to keep our information as accurate as possible.
If you need to contact us for any reason, please email email@example.com